It was time (well, at least I thought it was) to make a new build that will act as my work horse.
This build will run linux (at the moment, I am using Xubuntu 14.04) as I am mostly working with this operating system. The usage varies from normal things such as mail, browsing, documents, etc. to running several virtual machines to test new software. Additionally I wanted to make sure that this build is going to last a little while. On top of that, the computer will run several days in a row at times, therefore silent was key as well.
This is why I decided to add the following components to this build:
- Corsair Obsidian 550D
- Intel Core i7 4771 BOX (LGA 1150, 3.50GHz)
- Noctua NH-U14S (140mm)
- Intel DH87RL (LGA 1150, Intel H87, µATX)
- Corsair Vengeance 32GB 4-Kit XMP DDR3 1600MHz CL9
- ASUS Nvidia GeForce GT640 DC SL
- Samsung 840 Evo Basic (120GB, 2.5″) -> operating system
- Samsung 840 Evo Basic (120GB, 2.5″) -> virtual machine
- Samsung 840 Evo Basic (250GB, 2.5″) -> home directory
- Seasonic P-460 Platinum Modular Fanless – 460 Watt (460W)
While my last build was about 35 to 40 dezibel, this one is actually around 25 to 30 tops. I was using my Nexus 5 with an app to determine that, so I am sure these numbers may be not as accurate as they could be.
Nevertheless, the new build is very very quiet (and is even missing one of the noise dampening sides when I was measuring the noise).
Only thing is, that one of the fans is not running yet as I am missing a power supply connector. That will be done within the next couple of days to ensure optimal air flow.